- Created by: sadiyyawolf01
- Created on: 18-10-17 21:50
Why the Qur’an has supreme authority for Muslims:
Authority – The power and right to make demands of others
Bismillah – these words begin almost every surah (chapter) in the Qur’an
For Muslims the Qur’an is the most important source of guidance for their lives. The Qur’an is made up of 114 surahs (chapters), containing over 6,000 ayah (verses). It is divided into 30 sections called juz as well as seven sections called manzil, so a Muslim could recite the whole Qur’an in one week or one month if they wished.
Nobody is forced to follow the teachings of the Qur’an. Muslims show their faith in Allah by accepting its authority. They receive it as guidance about how to live as faithful Muslims. Also, those who follow its teachings experience for themselves that it is true. They discover that it works.
Why does the Qur’an have supreme authority for Muslims?
1. Muslims believe that the Qur’an contains the exact words of Allah. This is extremely important because they believe that the other holy books mentioned in the Qur’an (Tawrat, Zabur & Injil) have lost the original wording and have been changed or edited over the years so are no longer accurate.
2. The Qur’an was brought to the people by Muhammad (pbuh) the final prophet. Although Allah had sent prophets with His message before to different people at different times, this time the message was for all people for all time and would not be repeated.
3. It was recited by the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) exactly, word for word. Muslims believe that as the prophet received the revelations, he recited them exactly and then the words were recorded immediately and accurately by his companions.
4. The Qur’an has never been changed. Muslims read the Qur’an in the original Arabic so that they are sure that their knowledge is correct. Many Muslim scholars think that the Qur’an should never be translated into other languages because of the risk of mistakes.
5. It is the first great miracle for Muslims. Muslims believe that Muhammad had not been taught to read and write and so could not have written the Qur’an, so it is a miracle of Allah revealed to the prophet via the Angel Jibril.
6. Muslims also accept the authority of the Qur’an because it helps them to understand the qualities and nature of Allah and it shows them how to follow His straight path. Also, the Qur’an provides a framework of belief about Allah and can give those who choose to follow the teachings an inner peace. It encourages believers to lead a good life and it offers support and help in times of need and hardship.
Respect for the Quran
v Muslims show respect for the Quran by performing wudhu before touching it.
v Keeping it on a high place.
v Trying to follow & practice upon…