- Created by: emews
- Created on: 27-10-17 11:41
Movement across cell membranes
The more particles there are in a certain volume, the more concentrated those particles are.
When sucrose is dissolved in water:
- The solute is the sucrose
- The solvent is the water
Diffusion is the net movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.
Diffusion is going down a concentration gradient.
- Oxygen in the lungs diffuse into red blood cells
- A teabag placed in a cup of hot water will diffuse into the water
- Placing food colouring in a liquid will diffuse the colouring
- Cigarette smoke diffuses into the air
Osmosis is the net movement of water molecules from an area of low solute concentration to an area…