- Created by: janabuchan
- Created on: 07-11-17 17:38
- The contraction of the heart is myogenic - the signal for cardiac compression arises within the heart tissue itself.
- the signal for a heart beat is initiated by the heart muscle cells (cardiomyocytes) rather than brain cells.
- Within the wall of the right atrium are a specialised cluster of cardiomyocytes which direct the contraction of heart muscle tissue.
- cluster of cells collectively known as the sinoatrail node (SAN).
- The sinoatrial node acts as the primary pacemaker - controlling the rate at which the heart beats
- triggers roughly 60-100 cardiac contractions per minute
- if the SAN fails, the AV node (secondary pacemaker) may maintain cardiac contractions at…